On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 20:35:37 +0100 Stefan Schmidt <ste...@datenfreihafen.org>
said:

> Hello.
>
> Just found some time to test out this patch against todays svn.
>
> A small conflict due to the addition of the taskbar happens during
> applying it. Trivial to fix.

same.

> More interesting is a segfault when edje_cc builds the .edj. A
> backtrace points to ecore_mainloop and friends used for the SVG stuff.
> And indeed, converting the svg to png make edje_cc happy. (separate
> mail for the issue)

separate issue indeed - but i didn't see that problem. worked for me. :/

> On Wed, 2011-10-19 at 21:37, Leif Middelschulte wrote:
> >
> > find attached another version of the patch. It "works" here, but I
> > don't have the ressources to test it properly.
> >
> > Known issues:
> > Frontend (conf_randr):
> > - not pushed into e/demodulized yet
> > - dialog has to be resized manually for displays to be proper positioned
>
> Thats a bit confusing at the first time. The display should be changed
> to something vendor neutral btw. :)

a small issue. but there are bigger fish to fry. :)

> I only see one output here which seems to be the LVDS of my notebook.
> The external monitor connected over DVI and from xrandr detected as
> HDMI2 seems to be missing completely. Problems with EDID parsing or
> such? Where should I look for debug infos for this?

did you try restart e after it's plugged in? i have it showing hdmi and lvds.
this i think is the issue of polling. you need to keep checking for new screens
with current xorgs to see a new monitor. this is something ifound last patch
rounf.

> The setup is a Lenove X220 with a docking station and one monitor
> connected over DVI. I can test with VGA the next days as well. xrandr
> is happy with detecting it and I'm able to set it up as multi-monitor
> with it.
>
> > - segv when closing the dialog because of resize callback of the
> > arrengement smart class are called after the dialog's data is freed
>
> Does not happen here.

i found a different segv:

(gdb) bt
#0  0x0086e416 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
#1  0x00219513 in __waitpid_nocancel ()
    at ../sysdeps/unix/syscall-template.S:82
#2  0x08071f94 in e_alert_show (sig=11) at e_alert.c:57
#3  <signal handler called>
#4  0x011a18e6 in
#_e_config_randr_dialog_subdialog_arrangement_determine_positions_recursive
#(obj=<value optimized out>)
    at e_int_config_randr_arrangement.c:626
#5  0x011a186b in
#_e_config_randr_dialog_subdialog_arrangement_determine_positions_recursive
#(obj=<value optimized out>)
    at e_int_config_randr_arrangement.c:681
(gdb) fr 4
#4  0x011a18e6 in
#_e_config_randr_dialog_subdialog_arrangement_determine_positions_recursive
#(obj=<value optimized out>)
    at e_int_config_randr_arrangement.c:626
626                            dialog_data->new_pos.x =
neighbor_info->new_pos.x + neighbor_info->previous_mode->width;
(gdb) p *dialog_data
$3 = {crtc = 0x8d70594, output = 0x0, previous_pos = {x = -1, y = -1},
  new_pos = {x = -1, y = 0}, previous_mode = 0x0, new_mode = 0x8d703b0,
  preferred_mode = 0x0, previous_orientation = 4294967295,
  new_orientation = ECORE_X_RANDR_ORIENTATION_ROT_0,
  previous_policy = 4294967295, new_policy = ECORE_X_RANDR_OUTPUT_POLICY_NONE,
  bg = 0xabccf60}

... notice previous_mode is NULL; i get this one regularly.

> > - missing icons for policies and orientations
> > - missing policy for "ask what to do on connection"
> > Backend (e_randr):
> > - missing polling backend for events
> > - setup storage seems to fail, but should be fixable "soon"(TM).
>
> The popup if one wants to keep the settings seems also to small. The
> second counter is not completely visible. The storage button did not
> trigger any event and keep and restore have been not always working
> for me.
>
> Besides that it looks quite nice.
>
> Need to find out why it does not detect my external monitor the next
> days.

aaaah you haven't gotten to the next phase then... where it's a bitch to get it
to work at all. i've been trying to drag monitors left and right and they stick
then reset afterwards. if i select things like "left of" or "right of" and so
on i find it just doesnt switch screens on apply - dnding the mini-monitors
around seems pot-luck on a good day - after much clicking, selecting and
dragging i finally got it to configure hdmi to be left of lvds... but this
isn't working well right now - not well enough to "go gold". th crash - can be
fixed. the resizing. can be fixed. i agree with the monitor branding thing.
also mine are squashed and ultra-wide. but thats gfx. the real issues are in
this actually working well enough to iron out the lesser issues.

leif - right now it still needs work. the ui and overall direction is right.
now it actuallly needs to work beyond the "roll some dice" point. well.. here
is also the bit where i ask you... does it work solidly for you? can u configre
screens to be left/right/above/below of others reliably with a quick drag +
apply or select from radio buttons? because it definitely doesnt work reliably
for me :(