On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 04:13:32 -0200 Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
<barbi...@profusion.mobi> said:

> I really don't know why I bother to explain these things I know will
> get nowhere.

i've already said we can support it. i just disagree that that is a first port
of call or the only port of call. i disagree that we totally reply on PA for
everything we need audio-wise.

> Saying that what you want could be easily worked with them is also out
> of question, there is always the "no time" and "bigger fish to fry", I
> know the drill...

i've been burned before. i waited so long for xrender to go nowhere. luckily
i didn't make it a core required rendering back-end. not going to depend on
something like that again. if PA doesn't have the feature today - i think it's
unwise to depend on it maybe having it some time in the future.

> that we don't provide sound feedback and he is waiting it since forever.

oh that's all - yes. because no one has stepped up and done it. someone did. i
said i wasn't going to do it before e17 release because i didn't want to be
distracted by it. :)

> > that is true, but we have a much bigger problem already with that and
> > images.
>
> having a problem does not justify to introduce another ;-) Before you
> had 1 problem, now you'll have two.

unless PA is going to get sequenced multi-track audio... we can't do everything
via PA. we have a requirement for a more general solution. well.. i have a
requirement. we can use PA when and where appropriate. we can use canberra when
and where appropriate. i'm not going to limit designs to just what these
happen to do. well not limit, because i care a lot about audio.

> for instance PA allows for sound what you'd like to have with images
> (central daemon to load stuff), but we're not using it as there is no
> time. Then we create something else that then we need to create
> something else again to match. That rule of "we can always solve a
> problem by creating another abstraction layer". PA would not work
> everywhere, so create a layer to abstract it away, but that would be
> the role of PA :-S

but it doesn't do what i want from an audio subsystem - not everything. so
either i decide to limit what edje does to just what canberra does... or PA
does, or i can do more if i just deal with the audio mixing locally in edje and
just punt out audio stream data. this is moot if we support both paths -
powerful/complex path and simple one, so where is the argument? i want to do
the powerful one first as the simple one is a subset case.