On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 1:20 AM, Carsten Haitzler <ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 13:08:55 +1000 David Seikel <onef...@gmail.com> said:
>
>> On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 11:59:57 +0900 Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
>> <ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:

>> > what i saw of libcanberra when i looked maybe a year or so ago was it
>> > was a simple sound event player - play sample X by token name on
>> > event Y. this can be supported, but it's definitely limited.
>> > something to add along the way - maybe after the initial stuff is
>> > solid.
>>
>> That's what I was saying in IRC, that libcanberra was way more limited
>> than your new sound code.
>
> yup. :) can be done as an addition later as its a simplifies subset of whats
> there in the proposal.

Sure, but to clarify what I mean:

I think that SOUNDS IN E should not be in Edje, rather going with
libcanberra for consistency with the whole world.

1. not all actions are visual to have an associated edje and thus sound.
2. xdg sound themes are supported elsewhere, like gnome/kde = consistency
3. one can turn off the sound in a central place.

this is much like before we just had e17 icons, then we started to
support FreeDesktop.Org icons... bit painful, so the sound we can
start easily.

Actually if there is interest I can provide the functions below, and
people can plug them into E17 and write a configuration:

   unsigned int e_sound_feedback(const char *event_name, const
Evas_Object *reference, Eina_Bool loop);
   unsigned int e_sound_feedback_win(const char *event_name,
Ecore_X_Window reference, Eina_Bool loop);
   void e_sound_feedback_stop(unsigned int id);

object is used to provide spatial sound whenever supported and also
finds out the owner window class/name to be fed to libcanberra.

One could go in E codebase and call:

//on startup
e_sound_feedback("service-login", NULL, EINA_FALSE);

//on logout
e_sound_feedback("service-logout", NULL, EINA_FALSE);

// on error dialogs
e_sound_feedback("dialog-error", dia_base, EINA_FALSE);
e_sound_feedback("dialog-warning", dia_base, EINA_FALSE);
e_sound_feedback("dialog-information", dia_base, EINA_FALSE);

// on urgent windows
e_sound_feedback_win("window-attention", xid, EINA_FALSE);

// on screenshot module
e_sound_feedback("screen-capture", NULL, EINA_FALSE);

very simple and will match whatever sound the user choose in their
apps. Of course, similar to icon themes we'd have to provide our own
theme selector configuration tool.

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
http://profusion.mobi embedded systems