On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 1:52 AM, David Seikel <onef...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 23:15:37 -0500 Youness Alaoui
> <kakar...@kakaroto.homelinux.net> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've just updated my EFL build for the PS3 and it was broken.
> > eina_init isn't working anymore because eina_value doesn't init
> > itself correctly. The issue is that if it's unable to iitialize a
> > lock, it will fail the init which fails eina_init (and ecore_init,
> > etc..) The problem is that on the PS3, there is no pthread library so
> > threads are disabled on eina and eina_lock uses
> > eina_inline_lock_void.x which just returns FALSE/FAIL for every API
> > call. This also causes another issue with evas which slows it down
> > because it tries a eina_lock_take_try (which fails) and forces it to
> > wait a bit before doing anything then it spams my terminal with
> > warnings about not being able to get a lock. I would suggest to
> > change the behavior of eina_lock (on 'void' platforms, which do not
> > support locks) to always return TRUE/SUCCEED so it doesn't break
> > everything below it.
>
> I'm wondering how come a hyperthreaded CPU with a dozen extra
> specialized cores has no thread support?  It might not have pthread,
> but it might have some other sort of thread support that could be used
> instead?

Yes it has threads support, and the official SDK (Which we can't legally
use) has pthread, but we don't have an open source port of pthread to their
own system calls. So for now I'm working with it without threading support.
I will eventually (some day) port pthread to it then all of this will go
away, in the meantime, I prefer to concentrate on other things (it also
helped me find a few bugs in the EFL for when it gets compiled without
threads)