On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 08:17:17 -0800 Dave Ray <ap...@jonive.com> said:

> On Nov 18, 2012, at 11:17 PM, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
>
> > … as of e18 as we are compositing only and will totally rely on the fact
> > that we can paint the entire screen as we see fit. l
>
> I have been unable to get compositing to work on OSX.
>
> When I build ecore it configures with:
>
> Ecore_X (Xlib backend).......: yes
>     Xcursor....................: yes
>     Xkb........................: yes
>     Xprint.....................: yes
>     Xinerama...................: yes
>     Xrandr.....................: yes
>     Xgesture...................: no
>     Xscreensaver...............: yes
>     Xrender....................: yes
>     Xcomposite.................: yes
>     Xfixes.....................: yes
>     Xdamage....................: yes
>     Xdpms......................: yes
>     Xtest......................: yes
>     XIM........................: yes
>     Xi2........................: yes
>

> When I run e, I get the dialog: "Your X display does not support the
> XComposite extension or Ecore was build without XComposite support…"
>
> Any idea why?

your xserver probably doesnt support composite - not surprising if you use
rootless mode as it cant sensibly allow compositors in x. xdpyinfo will list
extensions. :) just because ecore built with xcomposite support in the lib
doesnt mean the SERVER supports it too... - you may find that it works when
rootless mode is off. :) as per my other email.. rootless stuff with e17 is
going to cause issues... and after e17 compositing is becoming "not an option"
anymore - it's compositing or "go away". that's why there has been so much
effort to ensure a good software compositing path exists. so it still is viable
even minus gl drivers.