On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 20:36:44 -0800 Dave Ray <ap...@jonive.com> said:

> On Nov 18, 2012, at 7:27 PM, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
>
> > btw - HOW do u run e17 on osx? do you set up osx's x emulation to be "x in a
> > window" rather than the default "rootless x" emulation?
>

> The X11 emulation on OSX (XQuartz) lets you select in the preferences whether
> you want to enable the root window or not. The rootless-x emulation still
> uses the full size of the screen, minus the OSX menu bar. I usually use the
> non-rooted setting, but it doesn't seem to make much dfference on e17.

this would make things with e17 seem odd - as some windows will be managed and
stacked by e17, others will not and be totally unknown to e17 - i assume. als
it places its fullscreen window at the bottom to do the filemanager and
wallpaper bg which would cover up the osx desktop etc. probably... so it'd be
very odd to mix i suspect.

> On OSX, X11 is an app running along side other apps. How it gets launched is
> another story, but the rootless-x settings are independent of how it's
> lanched.
>
> For reasons I'm not clear about, some X11 window managers (including e16)
> display a transparent background in non-rooted mode. This means the X11
> windows appear with the decoration you expect from the WM, but against the
> Native OS GUI with other native windows and backgrounds. This is a nice
> option because X11 windows and native OS windows can be side-by-side in the
> GUI, sharing the paste buffer, etc.

they dont create this wallpaper window. that's why. thats "rootless" mode. but
as such trying to mix 2 windowing systems together like this is.. problematic
at best.

> E17 (as well as Gnome and others) has never shown a transparent background in
> non-rooted mode. It's not a big deal because I can still switch between
> windows with alt-tab (between X11 and the other app). But that would be a
> nice feature to implement in e17 for better OSX integration.

actually it can do it - there is a hidden option deep inside, but that will go
away as of e18 as we are compositing only and will totally rely on the fact that
we can paint the entire screen as we see fit. lots of e ui elements will move
into the compositor itself - so if e doesnt see the screen as it expects (ie
gets full control of it for compositing), life will suck for osx and e... so u
may want to use the "x in a window" as opposed to "rootless x" for testing and
what not as it will ultimately be less problematic, and in the end - the only
way to go.