On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 12:47:16 -0200 Bruno Dilly <bdi...@profusion.mobi>
wrote:

> we're are now making ephysics API more stable, almost all the features
> intended to go in are already implemented, so we are moving to the
> next step:
> adding support to physics on Edje.

I'm gonna take a step back and consider the big picture from my own
point of view before delving into the details.

First the simple question - have you considered Edje Lua as well as
Embryo?  I'll be happy to write the Edje Lua bindings.

Now the hard part.

I'm heavily involved in SecondLife (SL) / OpenSim style online 3D
virtual worlds.  Think MMOG where the users can edit the world in
world in real time, and it's not really a game, more a generic platform.

I'm working on both client and server side software.  I REALLY REALLY
want to convert the existing crap client and server code into something
more sane based on EFL.  So obviously 3D graphics, 3D physics, and
scripting of the world are important to me.

Bullet physics I think is the way to go, so I'm on the same page here.

I know you have considered 3D stuff, so again, kinda on the same page
here.  Though I wonder if ephysics is suitable for this sort of work?

Scripting I want to do in Lua, and I've started on this already.  The
existing SL based systems use a scripting language called LSL, I have
written an implementation of that using C, EFL, and Lua.  Basically it
converts LSL into Lua, then compiles and runs the Lua code.

For graphics I have been looking at Ogre and Irrlicht.  Irrlict has my
preference at the moment, mostly coz it's relatively light weight and
has good support for old hardware, including a decent software
renderer.  People using unsuitable hardware for SL is a common
problem.  Typically lots of people use student / business class
laptops, not the sort of things that are designed for 3D games.
Irrlicht has it's own 2D GUI stuff, but obviously I'd be ripping that
out and using EFL.  Perhaps ephysics would be a better choice for EFL
based software?

So I guess my basic question is - would your ideas for ephysics be
suitable for online 3D virtual worlds, or is it limited to simple,
mostly 2D games?  Perhaps some combination of ephysics and Irrlicht is
the way I should go?