On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 10:46:00 -0200 Bruno Dilly <bdi...@profusion.mobi>
wrote:

> [...]
> >> be interested in one of this well established 3D engines. Ogre has
> >> OgreBullet to make
> >> it easier to develop stuff using Bullet Physics (not sure if this
> >> project is well maintained).
> >> I know people use to do merge Lua in the recipe as well.
> >
> > I'm guessing ephysics does not have fancy scene management stuff
> > for big scenes, or fancy things like particles, height maps, sky
> > boxes, clouds, etc?
>
> No, nothing of these.
>

> >> I don't know much about Irrlicht.
> >
> > I'll likely experiment with it next weekend.

> >> Uhmm... lights can be another limitation. I'm not sure these
> >> engines provide ray tracing,
> >> but we don't. We are stuck to evas map light calculations. No light
> >> reflection, refraction.
> >> Since light don't diffuse when reflecting other surfaces makes the
> >> contrast of light / shadow
> >> a bit ugly for such cases. Bodies between the light source and
> >> others won't produce shadows
> >> as well.
> >
> > Proper raytracing is usually not used for real time stuff, but it's
> > starting to come.  SL needs water reflections and refraction, and
> > only recently got proper shadows.  Ogre does great water, not sure
> > about Irrlicht yet.
> >
> >> We just support a single camera right now, no zoom in / out
> >> support, rotation ,etc. I know
> >> blender support such things. It's doable, but it's not planned to
> >> be done for now.
> >
> > One of the good things about SL is it's camera controls.  I pride
> > myself in being expert with them, so this is very important to me.
> >
> >> I've never worked with any 3d engine, so not sure how far we are of
> >> the state of art of such
> >> frameworks, and what features you would need. If you will have
> >> time to work on EPhysics / Evas
> >> to support your needs, I'm here to help, but I'm not sure how far
> >> we could go to satisfy your needs
> >> and can be a bit frustrating for you if you have to migrate to
> >> Irrlicht after all.
> >>
> >> When you study a bit more about Ogre / Irrlicht and I show
> >> the current status of EPhysics we could evolve with this discussion
> >> and evaluate how far we could go.
> >>
> >> I can't see how EPhysics would help you using these graphical
> >> engines. If you are going to use Irrlicht or Ogre, I would say to
> >> forget about EPhysics.
> >
> > Well, my intention is to EFLize the SL stuff.  That includes
> > integrating some decent 3D graphics engine.  I'll look at things
> > like Irrlicht and the other stuff I'm looking at.  Might be a good
> > idea to merge them with ephysics.  I suspect Irrlicht and ephysics
> > could complement each other, no reason why the GUI can't have
> > physics as well as the complex 3D world it's on top of.  B-)
>
> Yeah, you may be correct.
> We can try to elaborate more about what these libraries provide and
> that could be
> added to ephysics or evas.
>
> But for the next weeks I'll be focused on Edje.

Fair enough.  Nothing is moving quickly for me anyway, so no hurry.

> When do you plan to start to EFLize the SL stuff ?

I started last December and January with the EFL based LSL script
engine.  That progressed quite fast, but got held up on the actual
interfacing to the existing OpenSim system.  The person that said they
where going to do that vanished.  OpenSim is C#, and I really was
looking forward to someone else handling that side of things.  I don't
like C# much.  lol

Guess I'll have to do the C# stuff myself.  Oh well.

Since then I've mostly been busy with paid work and other things.
Slowly but surely I'm getting back into SL stuff.  That's why I plan on
starting to work with Irrlicht next weekend, see if I can embed it into
an Elementary window.  Can't call it Errlicht, that name is already
taken for the Eiffel bindings for Irrlicht.

I did manage a prototype SL user / grid manager with a little animated
3D image in elementary though.  I think it bit rotted.

Also, I had ephysics and effb compiled on Ubuntu 10.04, but now that
I've upgraded to 12.04 it wont compile.  Mind you there seems to be
four basic ways to compile bullet, maybe I picked the wrong one?  I'll
have to try that again soon.  I'll aim for an elementary window with
Irrlicht 3D world and ephysics 2D GUI soon, even if it does not do
much.