On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 14:14:38 +0900 Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
<ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 13:59:48 +1000 David Seikel <onef...@gmail.com>
> said:
>
> > On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 11:51:04 +0900 Cedric BAIL <cedric.b...@free.fr>
> > wrote:

> > > Cross compilation is faster as far as I know for windows :-)
> >
> > Vincent's Windows stuff was made to cross compile with mingw under
> > Linux.  That's the main delivery method he used.  So no need for a
> > Windows license to compile it.  And as Cedric said, at least that
> > means we can make sure compiling is not broken.  Leave the result
> > easily downloaded, and I'm sure people will download it to test it
> > on their expensive Windows installs.
>
> but we can't make sure that compiling *ON* windows is not broken. we
> also can't verify if it runs properly or not (missing symbols,
> modules simply not loading at all etc.).
>
> > BTW, I already have a qemu VM for Windows XP and 7 specifically for
> > testing stuff with.  I just can't bring myself to actually use it
> > much.  I hate Windows, but a lot of my users want it.  More
> > importantly, my girlfriend uses Windows.  She who must be obeyed
> > must be appeased.  Coz not sure which is more painful, using
> > Windows, or teaching her Linux.  lol
>
> hahahaha! indeed. i just think we need to set up a shared vm that has
> a mingw32 dev env installed with dropbear/sshd so u can ssh in and
> "use it" to do builds at least. with rdesktop you could verify
> rendering at least... and some behaviour. i guess with vnc too... :)

Well, with qemu you don't have to use RDP.  VNC to the host and look at
the qemu window.  B-)

That's how I installed Win7 remotely an a clients VM host last year.
KVM (qemu) and VNC.  It can directly output to VNC.

BTW, I'm part way through setting up a "fire up qemu and compile shit
on Windows from a git repo" script.  It's one Unix shell script that
does everything from the script, no need for support scripts on the
Windows guest.  I figured out the thing is gonna be busy enough as it is
compiling, ssh is just overkill, and a waste of precious CPU resources
with all that doubled up encryption going on.  Tripled ssh encryption if
you are ssh'ed into the host in the first place and want to watch the
compiling going on.  Serial port is much saner.  Security is not needed,
the serial port only goes to the host, or in my case, the script on
the host.