At Thu, 13 Mar 2014 12:17:22 +0900 Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
<ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Mar 2014 21:14:17 -0400 Robert Heller <hel...@deepsoft.com> said:
>
> > At Thu, 13 Mar 2014 09:22:59 +0900 Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
> > <ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:

> > > you're missing some information here. or confused. yes - normally menu
> > > items we have in e are transparent (widgets IN m->container_object... ie
> > > inside of it, not the container itself or the bg object which is a
> > > parent).
> > > this is what is designed and wanted so the menu background (bg object)
> > > shows through, UNTIL a menu item is selected, then it becomes "solid"
> > > (dark
> > > black with some gradients, shadowing etc.). that's the way it's designed,
> > > but then later you're talking about the menu background being
> > > transparent... which it is not by default. for sure.
> > >
> > > so is it that your menu background is transparent .. and that's your
> > > problem, or that the items themselves are transparent and you see through
> > > to the menu background?
> >
> > The background is transparent.  The populated items in the 'menu' are
> > opaque.
> > The table contains several genlist objects, not all of which fill all of
> > the
> > available space and the 'unused' space is transparent.  I'll take a screen
> > short and post it tomorrow.
>
> well i need to see what you're seeing, but what you are saying doesn't make
> sense given the default theme, that menus already work that way and are opaque
> etc. - i am unsure what is wrong there at this stage.

I uploaded a screenshot:

http://www.deepsoft.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/transparent_start_menu.png

> > > i do have some q's - why do you set move/resize intercepts on the table?
> > > you
> > > want the emnu bg to swallow your table and control it... why not just let
> > > it do that? also be aware using elm objects in e's canvas like this will
> > > mean certain things are going to be iffy - like focus handling, so i'd
> > > suggest skipping that for not (elm_object_focus_* calls - just going to
> > > clutter up your code at the moment). also setting padding manually - i
> > > don't suggest that. it won't scale based on dpi or scaling factors, or
> > > finger size etc. i'd suggest not having any padding,a dn any spacing
> > > around
> > > items, do that in the theme, not in code (ie in edc). also you set the
> > > name
> > > of the container object.. you know if you have submenus or other menus,
> > > with the same name, there can be a clash. i generally avoid setting object
> > > names because they do share a flat namespace. beware. also tables are not
> > > homogeneous by default. no need to set that to false as that's how they
> > > come.
> >
> > The intercepts are mostly for debugging and for capturing the size and
> > location information.
>
> you are probably better off using resize and move event callbacks. they don't
> interfere. intercepts do.

OK. I copy-and-pasted (more or less) some of the code from other E18 source
code and was not sure what was needed.  I can get rid of unnecessary code.

> > Even though tables are not homogeneous by default, I figure setting that
> > explicitly documents that they are not homogeneous in the code. And API
> > defaults sometimes change -- in any case it does not hurt anything.
>
> defaults like this never change. it'd break abi. if they do change.. it's a
> bug.

Still, the explicit setting to be not homogeneous does serve to document that
the table is in fact not homogeneous.  In any case it is harmless as well as a
good way to document the fact.

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933 / hel...@deepsoft.com