On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 11:31 PM, jose_...@juno.com <jose_...@juno.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 9:50 PM, jose_...@juno.com <jose_...@juno.com> wrote:
>>>      Hey Cedric,
>>>
>>>      I have a question for you... :)
>>>
>>>      What are you thinking of doing with the current evas rect, line, and
>>> polygon objects?
>>
>> I am considering the idea of introducing an Evas_Object_Shape, or
>> something close to that, and make those 3 objects just reuse that one
>> with some inheritance and the Ector backend (When Ector will provide a
>> proper GL backend and be fast enough to replace them of course).
>
>     Ok, that seems reasonable. But there are a few things to consider...
> If you do that, then why not also introduce the rest of the standard shape
> related objs like polyline, ellipse, circle, path? And where will the
> fill/stroke-paint
> properties of shapes come from.. restrict to colors only?

So this is really not defined yet and I am still trying to figure out
how I will implement that. Currently, the first issue is do we want to
have an Eo object for Line and Poly. I see no benefit for it.
Rectangle have a benefit has we can have a custom cutout logic. So I
could implement Line and Poly just as a set of helper function on top
of a Shape object.
   Also in my branch I have already started adding a set of simple
helper (mostly following what the SVG specification says) for
rectangle with rounded corner and circle. I kind of plan to expand
that set of helper that generate path over time. This helper will work
thanks to Eo on both Evas_VG_Shape, Ector_Renderer_Shape and an
hypothetical Evas_Object_Shape. That should not be a big deal.
   For stroke and fill paint source, I am considering allowing the
source to be any Evas_Object like we do for proxy. The main issue is
that we don't provide an Evas_Object_Gradient this day anymore, so it
kind of limit the usefulness of it. That's still something I don't
really know (I guess I could reintroduce an Evas_Object_Gradient as I
would have the necessary code in Ector, but not so sure about it).

>      Evas object resizing would also need to be done consistently on these,
> last I recall it was somewhat inconsistent on the line and poly...

I think we trigger an ERR if you do a resize on a poly this day. Line
is I think defined as a resize of both end point. But sure that would
have to be taken care of.
--
Cedric BAIL