On Sat, 27 Jun 2015 14:11:29 +0900
Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) <ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Jun 2015 16:19:17 -0400 Mike Blumenkrantz
> <michael.blumenkra...@gmail.com> said:
>
> > Thankfully, it seems you didn't end up pushing your revert back upstream
> > and the issue is now resolved.
>
> ummm... oh crap. you're right. oops. i didn't push.
>
> > It would be great if we could step back from this "instant revert" culture
> > that has been created since the move to git. Just because it can be done
> > doesn't mean that it should; it's a very reasonable thing to do a local
> > revert (like this) and then raise an issue about the commit in question.
> > This preserves repository history and makes it significantly easier to
> > bisect things when there are fewer "revert XYZ" -> "revert 'revert XYZ'"
> > chains needing to be followed.
>
> 1. i pinged you on irc. you did not respond. so you were not around to
> discuss, and an email would thus not elicit a response in a timely fashion
> either.

I appreciate your attempts to contact me prior to reverting.

> 2. the point of reverting is to ensure OTHER PEOPLE are not sitting here
> bitching all day about their desktop being broken so badly that it's actually
> unusable. you expect each and every person to work out their own personal
> private reverts? it has been a point of pride that our cvs/svn/git has
> remained relatively usable at all times. this bug made e unusable. i made a
> call because it was SO BAD that it had to be reverted and people OTHER than
> me WILL be affected as well as it is the default pointer focus mode. the
> longer it stays broken in git, the more people are affected.
>
> i think you need to get some perspective on this. this is not a revert
> because of a typo or some small irritation in behavior. repository-history
> comes a distant second place to having code not break so badly that it's
> unusable. this is a QA, support and stability matter.
>
> i think that YOUR attitude on this is questionable. it has an undercurrent of
> arrogance. yes - i am calling you out on this. if your response is "please
> don't revert and discuss" and you expect all the people who update from master
> to suffer while they wait for you to finish sleeping or whatever (which is
> perfectly normal, so nothing wrong with that), as opposed to "oh oops. sorry.
> that was bad. thanks for that. fixed it now", then that tells me that you
> prioritize the beauty of commit logs over the pain of users and developers,
> and that is arrogance. you matter more than they, and when someone else
> spends the effort to fix things you would prefer people suffer than hurt the
> "beauty" of logs with a revert. please think about this carefully.
>
> this isn't an instant revert culture here - i have NOT reverted your keysym
> commit because it isn't hurting anyone at the moment, for example. i make a
> call that when something is bad enough it has to be fixed whatever way
> possible ASAP. i made that call here.

You have your perspective and that's fine; you're looking at this as a
couple of incidents related only to me, and I'm seeing it as a microcosm of
the developer ecosystem as a whole.

In my view, the workflow since moving to git has changed from "someone
introduced a bug, maybe I can help out by fixing it" to "someone introduced a
bug, better revert every possible commit". It's a fundamental shift from being
collaborative to being combative in our usage of SCM, and I know I'm not the
only one who has noticed this. Simply checking over the commit logs will show a
staggering increase in the number and frequency of reverts in every
repository over the past couple years.

At no point have I ever said (except as a joke) that my code is always
flawless. I have no issues with criticism or reverts, except when it subverts
or replaces actual cooperation between developers, which, in my opinion, is
what has happened to us.