On Sat, 27 Jun 2015 12:01:16 -0400 Michael Blumenkrantz
<michael.blumenkra...@gmail.com> said:

> [...]
> > either.
>
> I appreciate your attempts to contact me prior to reverting.
>

> > 2. the point of reverting is to ensure OTHER PEOPLE are not sitting here
> > bitching all day about their desktop being broken so badly that it's
> > actually unusable. you expect each and every person to work out their own
> > personal private reverts? it has been a point of pride that our cvs/svn/git
> > has remained relatively usable at all times. this bug made e unusable. i
> > made a call because it was SO BAD that it had to be reverted and people
> > OTHER than me WILL be affected as well as it is the default pointer focus
> > mode. the longer it stays broken in git, the more people are affected.
> >
> > i think you need to get some perspective on this. this is not a revert
> > because of a typo or some small irritation in behavior. repository-history
> > comes a distant second place to having code not break so badly that it's
> > unusable. this is a QA, support and stability matter.
> >
> > i think that YOUR attitude on this is questionable. it has an undercurrent
> > of arrogance. yes - i am calling you out on this. if your response is
> > "please don't revert and discuss" and you expect all the people who update
> > from master to suffer while they wait for you to finish sleeping or
> > whatever (which is perfectly normal, so nothing wrong with that), as
> > opposed to "oh oops. sorry. that was bad. thanks for that. fixed it now",
> > then that tells me that you prioritize the beauty of commit logs over the
> > pain of users and developers, and that is arrogance. you matter more than
> > they, and when someone else spends the effort to fix things you would
> > prefer people suffer than hurt the "beauty" of logs with a revert. please
> > think about this carefully.
> >
> > this isn't an instant revert culture here - i have NOT reverted your keysym
> > commit because it isn't hurting anyone at the moment, for example. i make a
> > call that when something is bad enough it has to be fixed whatever way
> > possible ASAP. i made that call here.
>
> You have your perspective and that's fine; you're looking at this as a
> couple of incidents related only to me, and I'm seeing it as a microcosm of
> the developer ecosystem as a whole.
>
> In my view, the workflow since moving to git has changed from "someone
> introduced a bug, maybe I can help out by fixing it" to "someone introduced a
> bug, better revert every possible commit". It's a fundamental shift from being
> collaborative to being combative in our usage of SCM, and I know I'm not the
> only one who has noticed this. Simply checking over the commit logs will show
> a staggering increase in the number and frequency of reverts in every
> repository over the past couple years.
>
> At no point have I ever said (except as a joke) that my code is always
> flawless. I have no issues with criticism or reverts, except when it subverts
> or replaces actual cooperation between developers, which, in my opinion, is

in this case this doesn't imho. i tried to contact (co-operate) but due to no
response within that hour or whatever a fix wasn't likely to be timely. i
actually bisected the commit and read the diff. i read all of the diff and
nothing jumped out at me as the cause so i could do a quick fix.

i had to make a call. let it sit broken for possibly another 2-12 or so hours,
or revert it with sufficient information as to why it needs a revert. i believe
the log and email contained easily sufficient information. in my book that is
communication. a log by itself would not be. the email is the explicit
heads-up.

i would have preferred that it be fixed without a revert, but i was literally
sitting there with a broken system and beginning to swear every second word
just trying to function as normal. sure... i can roll back myself to before the
commit but i realized that what i was experiencing would be widespread soon
enough without a fix. as i said - it's a judgment call. not a "just revert
everything i don't like".

i've said this before - reverts imho are justified if the problem is bad
enough. bad enough is a combination of how long it'll take to get a fix into
master and the severity and impact of the issue itself.

if efl literally stopped compiling for all people and no quick fix was
available, a revert is justified pretty much immediately. a non-compiling efl
puts all developers working on it in a bad spot as they have to rebase to push
and thus they get a broken build tree they can't build or test anymore. that's
a low barrier of entry to a revert.

if e just segfaults immediately on start after a commit and the bug/change is
not obvious/easy and quick to find, a revert is justified. it goes from there
progressively through more grey area.

don't take any and all reverts as some "revert happy culture". it's a tool
provided by things like git because sometimes it is really the best thing to do
at the time. it's done more with git because git has made it far easier to do
vs svn, thus it is more likely to be used. this does not make it a "bad thing".
it is a tool that is easier to use to keep the tree more stable FIRST if needed
then let the person know what's going on once the emergency has been dealt with.