As further proof of how unsuccessful this has been, here's the downstream
patch that Gentoo's core repo ebuilds use:

https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/commit/?id=422cf597b84d3553eac42dd8b1faa8257af5941f

It removes the sleep entirely, making the entire thing (and all future
attempts at "getting attention") a complete waste of time for everyone.