On Sat, 25 Jun 2016 09:08:33 -0300 Felipe Magno de Almeida
<felipe.m.alme...@gmail.com> said:

> On Fri, Jun 24, 2016 at 7:59 PM, Carsten Haitzler <ras...@rasterman.com>
> wrote:
> > On Fri, 24 Jun 2016 07:58:44 -0500 Stephen Houston <smhousto...@gmail.com>
> > said:
> >
> >> I would like to add that the theme bugs on Genlist need fixing also. Two
> >> Phab tickets in particular. 1) There is a clipping bug where, a Genlist
> >> large enough to scroll, scrolls out of it's bounds and covers other widget.
> >> The out of bounds content is invisible of course so you don't see it, but
> >> you can still click into it.  2) Genlist tree, the row alternating colors
> >> becomes messed up if a tree items children are created upon expand.
> >
> > 1) that's not a theme bug. it's an evas clipping/ object bug of some sort.
> > 2) also not a theme bug but code bug. it just somehow doesnt re-init items
> > with the correct edje group for odd/even.
> >
> >> Both of these bugs have Phab tickets.  The eio monitor has a Phab ticket as
> >> well and Cedric is addressing it for the release I believe.
> >> On Jun 23, 2016 7:35 AM, "Stefan Schmidt" <ste...@osg.samsung.com> wrote:
> >
> > we have deeper problems. promises.
> >
> > right now i'm tempted to just call it quits on promises. remove them. do
> > that stuff with events on objects. i'm tired of the disconnect on promises
> > so drop them entirely. my patience is running thin.
>
> Just know we will be either killing the Node.JS bindings or requiring
> manual code.
>
> People will not want to use a binding that will be written like this:
>
> download = new efl.net.url_download('http:// ... ');
> download.on('result', function () { .. });
> download.on('error', function () { ... });
> download.on('progress', function () { ... });
> download.work(); // the async operation
>
> This is horrible, people will expect that to work like this:

unless we agree on promises ... yes. they will have to go and we'll have the
above. i will not accept any implementation or solution that makes the c api
harder to use than it needs to be. first and foremost. SECOND it then has to
translate to other languages.

since you want to do promise bindings manually, then map it however you like
manually with whatever wrapping etc. but this should not cause the api and
usage in c to be harder than it needs to be.

> efl.net.url_download('http:// ...').then
>  (
>    function (file) // success
>    {
>      return x;
>    },
>    function (e) // error
>    {
>    },
>    function (p) // progress
>    {
>    }
> ).then( function (x) { ... });
>
> This is what we have been advocating since the beginning, and we don't
> need a huge super Eolian class to have that in all bindings, we just
> need well defined semantics of asynchronous operations. We can
> work with Eolian/Eo Promise for that as well and that's all _I_ ask so I
> can sell EFL idea for other communities as well.
> However, you wanted to have a super uber promise first and now
> you just want to drop everything that even remotely  allows us
> the second syntax.

eh? i want nothing of the sort. there is no reason to make promises as complex
as proposed in c.

> I have to ask, do we even care about bindings or not?

i care, but if we are going to disagree on promises in core efl for much
longer, then we just have to drop them. yes. people will have to do the "obj.on
()" stuff. it works. it's better than marching on with promises given the
extreme disagreements on them and their implementation, api and behaviour. js
didn't have promises for many many many years. we will have to march on without
them if we can't agree on them in the core of efl.