I think your "How many real issues have you seen" was the same argument
against running any static analysis a couple years ago; now we have weekly
reports for that.

I have seen bugs that resulted from illegal float comparison. The fact that
a warning may be a false positive in some or even most cases does not
ensure that every warning is a false positive.

Given that we are so pedantic about warnings for much more trivial matters
(e.g., -Wunused-parameter as part of -Wextra), it seems bizarre to me that
anyone would complain about enforcing valid comparisons for floats.

On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 2:14 AM Jean-Philippe André <j...@videolan.org>
wrote:

Hey Mike,

On 20 December 2016 at 01:12, Mike Blumenkrantz <
michael.blumenkra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> discomfitor pushed a commit to branch master.
>
> http://git.enlightenment.org/core/efl.git/commit/?id=
> 25792d64165ad4f5f647a36f087af2d2206a6618
>
> commit 25792d64165ad4f5f647a36f087af2d2206a6618
> Author: Mike Blumenkrantz <zm...@osg.samsung.com>
> Date:   Mon Dec 19 11:08:43 2016 -0500
>
>     build: enable -Wfloat-equal for compiling
>
>      #WarningOfTheMonth

Urgh. What the hell.

Those warnings have a very limited value. How many real issues have you
seen that resulted from this unsafe comparison? I'm pretty sure that float
== 0 or float != 0 will succeed when we expect them to, and the equality
tests will also work whenever we do direct assignments (without arithmetic).

Now I understand why cedric made a series of patches with the float
comparison thing. I'm sure he didn't have anything more important to do.
Are you going to fix the remaining 523 warnings? Please don't send 100
patches for that...

PS: I had only 2 warnings before that. Potentially not fixable (va_start
with char arguments in EAPI functions). But at least I could easily spot
anything new.

--
Jean-Philippe André