Hello.

On 21/12/16 17:02, Mike Blumenkrantz wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 5:11 AM Stefan Schmidt <ste...@osg.samsung.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> On 20/12/16 17:36, Mike Blumenkrantz wrote:
>>> I think your "How many real issues have you seen" was the same argument
>>> against running any static analysis a couple years ago; now we have
>> weekly
>>> reports for that.
>>>
>>> I have seen bugs that resulted from illegal float comparison. The fact
>> that
>>> a warning may be a false positive in some or even most cases does not
>>> ensure that every warning is a false positive.
>>>
>>> Given that we are so pedantic about warnings for much more trivial
>> matters
>>> (e.g., -Wunused-parameter as part of -Wextra), it seems bizarre to me
>> that
>>> anyone would complain about enforcing valid comparisons for floats.
>>
>> Getting the code in shape for correct float comparisons is actually
>> something I would like to see.
>>
>> The real problem here is/was how this was handled. Forcing the compiler
>> flag to everyone's build is the problem. That and seeing Chris and
>>
> Cedric going crazy and doing nearly 100 patches in a short timeframe.
>> And even after all this my build was still noisy with all these warnings.
>>

> If people want to spend a few hours fixing hundreds of compile warnings
> before leaving on holiday then I think they should be commended, not held
> up as examples of what not to do. There's nothing wrong with creating a lot
> of patches;

I'm not complaining about the amount of patches, I don't want this fixed
my one big commit either. And if this would have been it and all
warnings fixed I would not reverted anything. Given that Chris even
reverted patches because he did not compile test them before pushing I
really wonder what this rush is about. Is this a battle on getting
patches in before vacation, or what?

  it's not like anyone here is taking the time to review all
> these commits once they hit the repo.

Just not true. I look over patches coming in over the commit mailing
list. And I know Tom also did. Others I can't say, but neither can you.

>> The reason we are so pedantic with the other warnings from the default
>> flags is that we want to have a clean build output to _actually spot
>> warnings from new code_ we are working on.
>>

>> I reverted the patch putting it into the default compiler flags. Enable
>> it locally, get the  the amount of warnings down to a sane amount and
>> I'm all for putting it in again. (tests and examples are also full of
>> it. Mentioning it here because I know how much people love to avoid
>> compiling those.)
>>

> I'm supposed to enable a flag locally and fix hundreds of warnings by
> myself in code that I've never seen before? Or perhaps you think that
> others will collaborate and do this voluntarily if they have to manually
> enable a warning flag? Please be realistic.

I am. You could have written a mail highlighting some examples why this
warnings is useful, you could have started a branch with it enabled and
worked together with Chris and Cedric on it to fix the warnings. Nothing
of this happened. Out of the blue this warning was enabled and a rush of
patches came in. You should not be surprised that people bring this up.

> This could have easily been resolved by the end of the week if people had
> spent the time making fixes instead of complaining.

Interesting that you are not supposed to fix warnings in code that you
have never seen before but others are.

Furthermore, I think
> the fact that the people who complained about the warnings were not the
> ones fixing any of them highlights my point.

Making things up does not help this discussion.

regards
Stefan Schmidt