On 21/12/16 10:45 AM, marcel-hollerb...@t-online.de wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 05:33:20PM +0100, Stefan Schmidt wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> On 21/12/16 17:02, Mike Blumenkrantz wrote:

>>> Cedric going crazy and doing nearly 100 patches in a short timeframe.
>>>>

>>> If people want to spend a few hours fixing hundreds of compile warnings
>>> before leaving on holiday then I think they should be commended, not held
>>> up as examples of what not to do. There's nothing wrong with creating a lot
>>> of patches;
>>
>> I'm not complaining about the amount of patches, I don't want this fixed
>> my one big commit either. And if this would have been it and all
>> warnings fixed I would not reverted anything. Given that Chris even
>> reverted patches because he did not compile test them before pushing I
>> really wonder what this rush is about. Is this a battle on getting
>> patches in before vacation, or what?
>>
>>   it's not like anyone here is taking the time to review all
>>> these commits once they hit the repo.
>>
>> Just not true. I look over patches coming in over the commit mailing
>> list. And I know Tom also did. Others I can't say, but neither can you.

>>> I'm supposed to enable a flag locally and fix hundreds of warnings by
>>> myself in code that I've never seen before? Or perhaps you think that
>>> others will collaborate and do this voluntarily if they have to manually
>>> enable a warning flag? Please be realistic.
>>
>> I am. You could have written a mail highlighting some examples why this
>> warnings is useful, you could have started a branch with it enabled and
>> worked together with Chris and Cedric on it to fix the warnings. Nothing
>> of this happened. Out of the blue this warning was enabled and a rush of
>> patches came in. You should not be surprised that people bring this up.

Are you asking for an explanation of why floating point comparison with
== in C is bad?  This is axiomatic and hardly needs discussion in this
forum.

>>> This could have easily been resolved by the end of the week if people had
>>> spent the time making fixes instead of complaining.
>>
>> Interesting that you are not supposed to fix warnings in code that you
>> have never seen before but others are.

I haven't seen that suggested by anyone, probably because it's a bad idea.

> Little side note: Claiming that you have to know a codebase for changing
> a==b to EINA_DBL_CMP(a,b) is NOT realistic :)

ENOUGH of this!  I've been trying to just sit this one out, but come on!

It is *not* a cookie cutter change!  I'm seeing claims that it's
trivial, and claims the people are reading the commit logs, and then I'm
seeing patches like this:

-     if (pos0->stride != 0.0)
+     if (!EINA_FLT_CMP(pos0->stride, 0.0))

Which is obviously wrong if you know what you're looking at.

Further, there may be cases where we intentionally only want a
comparison to trigger if the value is *exact* (as in, has been set that
way by assignment).  This could be the case in matrix math operations.

These warnings aren't trivially resolved by people with no familiarity
with the code.

>> Furthermore, I think
>>> the fact that the people who complained about the warnings were not the
>>> ones fixing any of them highlights my point.
>>
>> Making things up does not help this discussion.
>
> Also as I am one of those who complained:
> I complained because i am working on patches for elementary, i am
> changing a few focus apis in there. So it is quite meaningfull if a
> warning comes up, but with searching in 100 Warnings for a single new is not
> quite handy. Also there is still the thing i have told you in the other
> mail, why now? And more important, why at all? Is there a issue?

Revert the change locally?

Floating point comparison in C leads to very difficult to diagnose bugs.

I'm strongly in favor of turning this warning back on immediately.

This whole debate makes no sense.

Thanks,
Derek