On 04/10/2017 12:21 PM, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 9, 2017 at 9:38 PM, Simon Lees <sfl...@suse.de> wrote:
>> On 04/10/2017 12:39 AM, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>

>> Enlightenment is using it in some places and some E widgets are no
>> longer used, however given that the plan is to rewrite the all the
>> configs anyway no one has bothered to replace them all with elementary,
>> once this is done then e widgets will likely be removed.
>
> yes, but my point below is when we do that, try to do in the highest
> possible way, like using lua, mvc whenever appropriated, etc.

Well my personal experience from working on large scale software
projects suggests that for larger projects you don't want too high a
language as loosing your compile time type checking etc tends to lead
towards more bugs and less manageable software. That is why personally I
prefer C++ or maybe C for larger projects, I guess for some E modules
you could probably get away with it. As with smaller elementary based
applications although if I was going to write one I'd probably use python.

That however, just brings us to probably what is your bigger hurdle,
Enlightenment developers tend to be old and grumpy and still like to do
everything in C for reasons that escape me :-P

>>>  - Could  we eliminate all custom FS -> List/View code paths and use
>>> the MVC that gives you that?
>>>
>>> From IRC talks it's clear that our technology is not there yet, of
>>> course Eo needs to be declared stable, eolian_lua needs some work and
>>> MVC is still immature... but my bet is that unless we commit to the
>>> above these will never happen,
>>>
>> The reason the 1.19 release is now dragging out to 7 months is because
>> eo hasn't been declared stable and from what it seems like know one has
>> the time to put in to get this finished. As a result releases are harder
>> because some apps like eflete and enventor are using eo and whenever efl
>> is released we need to sync there release as well.
>
> Developers disagree on how to get Eo out... this is another issue. My
> personal take on this is we should sync everything for a while and
> force strict version dependency of all apps and EFL until it's fully
> done.

Speaking with a distro maintainers hat on I will simply say that idea is
Madness and can't happen :-P (Being like that with 1-2 apps is hard
enough already).

The only way we can move forward here is if we can get a api we are
willing to call stable then release it.

> If we try to provide "super stable, never breaks API/ABI" it will
> impact immensely the small development team we have and you can expect
> 1.19-like experience for all other releases.

I far prefer these experiences to releasing every 3 months then having
to update every piece of software using efl every 3 months.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek)                            http://simotek.net

Emergency Update Team                           keybase.io/simotek
SUSE Linux                           Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30