On 04/11/2017 04:19 PM, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 12:01:49 -0300 Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
> <barbi...@gmail.com> said:
>
>> On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 4:50 AM, Carsten Haitzler <ras...@rasterman.com>
>> wrote:

>>> one possible option is to jump behind the transpiler bandwagon. what about
>>> writing a js -> lua transpiler? this should be not that hard given the
>>> incredible similarity in the 2 languages. you can then write in lua or in
>>> js. just you need a compile step for js. perhaps we should also have a
>>> compile step for lua anyway? at least minify it for faster parsing etc....?
>>
>> isn't jerryscript good enough? Seems pretty small, not sure if they're
>> focusing on efficiency as much as ram/disk.
>
> jerryscript is interpreted only - no jit, so it's going to have a fairly big
> performance hit vs something jitted. if the point is to write more and more in
> such a language you want it to be as performant as possible. it can be more
> performant with a jit... so you'd want that.

I'll be controversial and say that for many Desktop UI applications and
probably for a lot of smartphone ones as well performance really doesn't
matter that much, its not like were running these things on a 386, So I
guess sometimes less performant languages have other benefits which is
why people use them.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek)                            http://simotek.net

Emergency Update Team                           keybase.io/simotek
SUSE Linux                           Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30