On Sun, 7 May 2017 12:14:03 +0900
Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) <ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:
> again. subjective. it does sound a bit like "i don't appreciate being
> disagreed with". closing a ticket as invalid because it just presents
> an opinion (and is expected to remain open for as long as the filter
> holds hat opinion) is not a bad thing. it's clearing up noise.
>
> opinions can indeed be had. they can be expressed and debated. but
> don't be surprised if an opinion ticket gets closed as "nope -
> disagree".

It should not be black and white. There should be ways to cater to all.
As others had suggested a potential 3rd option that would not have such
look.

It seems others are MUCH less receptive to doing things others ways and
catering to all. Its this way or that way, not all ways.... I tend to
try to cater to all, not some or myself. Thus I would have kept it open
till a solution was presented that satisfied all. Which could simply be
an option. Likely much less effort all around to code up such than to
debate.

> you seem to think resolved == "do it my way because my opinion is the
> only one that counts". the clock was designed around he look of a
> nixie clock:

In fact that is how it seems to come off the other way. I was not
around in 2014 when this came up before. But I did see you expressing
your opinion. It seems more like pot calling kettle black.

> https://i2.wp.com/www.fiz-x.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Large-Glass-Nixie-Clock.jpg

The display of that clock looks nothing like that. Again I have been
around THOUSANDS of tubes. The dude was hoarding them like crazy. All
sorts of old devices in additions to ones he ordered. He made clocks
and all sorts of stuff in addition to the amplifiers.

> and you see all the digits as unlit pieces of wire. the ticket was
> validly closed. it's invalid. it's not an artefact. it's not a bug.
> its intended design.

It looks much more like VFD, LCD, and LED displays. However when colors
and background, transparency etc. It ends up looking bad as it makes
it hard to read the clock. I am not the only one who has said such.

> so someone else didn't like it in the past too. so what? there is no
> such thing "as everyone likes this" when it comes to art. or style.
> or colors. it never exists. it's a design choice. like it or not.
> enough people like it. it's consistent with the look and feel.

Clearly there is a problem with catering to all. Its "your" way or no
way. Not saying  you personally just saying in general. I tend to
present options. Do not like this way, ok fine, lets adapt it for
another use to make all happy.

What is wrong with that?

> a few people saying "i don't like it" doesn't constitute a bug nor a
> reason to go changing it.

>From my reading of 2014, one person seemed to represent a larger
community. Many people will not speak up against such. Surely not when
they see people having such strong feelings towards a design they
prefer. With no acceptance that is causing VISUAL issues for others.

Ever think some may have poor eye sight? Oh screw the handicap right?
Really think, cater to more than just yourself. I have no problem with
that look remaining. But why not have options? There is a analog and
digital. There could be another option for a different look.... Does
not require a full on theme, debates, etc.

>a LOT of people (eg the majority) might
> justify it. there has been no mass outcry over it, so it remains in
> the opinion bucket. if you want - maybe start a vote and see what
> percentage of people like or dislike it (within the context of the
> theme as a whole - does it look nice/right with this theme look and
> feel?)... then you may be getting somewhere, but now you're getting
> into politics of "are you on my side or theirs? vote for me!" when
> this is clearly not a bug, an artefact or a mistake. it's intended
> design and we're arguing artistic merit, not technical issues.

That is silly. Much easier to just add option to to display in various
formats and done.

--
William L. Thomson Jr.