On Wed, 10 May 2017 21:42:52 +0200 Jonathan Aquilina <jaquil...@eagleeyet.net>
said:

> Hi All,
>
> If anything I owe everyone an apology as I started this kind of debate
> on IRC when I mentioned maybe starting a UX team where i would focus on
> the user experience of various aspects of e. So apologies for any issues
> caused here.

i think this is a good idea. filing bugs with "this is an artefact - remove it.
it makes it unreadable" is not the way to go about it though. making statements
of FACT like "unreadable" requires more than just making the statement or
quoting 2 or 3 people.

you need to do some studies. e.g. flash the time up for 0.2 seconds then hide
it... then rate how many people can accurately tell you the time. do this with
or without the shadowed images. get decent enough stats to account for
outliers. even if there is a "5% better reading ability" there is still a mater
of weighing up design, styling vs raw usability too. someone has to make a
judgement call in the end.

generally when anyone says "that's unreadable" i instantly start ignoring
everything else. when you speak in superlatives it had better be obviously just
that. it's not. its far far far more subtle.

improving ux is a very broad thing. part of it is purely aesthetic and this is
often at the whim of fashion and personal preference. part is actually
measurable usability like the above.

i'm all for improving ux. but there has to be a distinction between subjective
and objective. :)