On 31/05/17 23:42, Simon Lees wrote:

> On 31/05/17 22:42, Stefan Schmidt wrote:
>> Hello.

>>> There are other parts of e including but not limited to bryce that still
>>> need more work. Either way e will have a stability phase / freeze anyway
>>> so if that did become ready to happen we could also start the efl one
>>> and do the two releases at a similar time.
>>
>> If that happens to be at the same time by chance I see no problem, but I
>> will not adapt the efl release schedule to the E one. They have been
>> driven quite differently and that worked well for both sides. At least I
>> can say that from my side.

To clarify I wasn't saying they should adopt the same schedule, unless
of course we were holding off the efl release and Mike indicated the
start of the e freeze because it was going to release soon.

>> And lets be frank here (not pissed but simply frank). I think the last
>> two releases have been very bad.
>> o You and other wanted to wait longer and longer before a release should
>> happen to reduce pain with app using the EO API
>> o Other asked me when there finally will be a new release so they do not
>> have to depend on and use HEAD
>> o The long development phase resulted in a _very_ long stabilization
>> phase due to the many changes coming in.
>> o So long that many developers did not look at bug fixing anymore and
>> started to develop new stuff in branches.
>> o Nobody could tell when a release will be done. It the Debian way "its
>> done when its done" allover again.
>>
>> I'm doing the efl releases since 1.9 (3.5 years by now) and I invested a
>> huge amount of time and energy to fine tune the process and finding ways
>> to make it work for as many parties as possible. Personally I'm proud of
>> what we achieved in that regard.
>>
>> If we are now going to change this all back to how efl was released
>> before I will not stand in the way, but I will also not handle the
>> releases anymore. No bad feelings, no tears, no blood. :) I will simply
>> step down as release manager and let someone else take over. Maybe some
>> fresh vibes could help, who knows? :)
>>
>> regards
>> Stefan Schmidt
>>

> I agree the 3 month cycle works much better and I really want to go back
> to it but right now it creates effort and I don't want that effort for
> no reason, the minute people start asking "hen there finally will be a
> new release so they do not have to depend on and use HEAD" is the time
> when we should start the stabilization phase but if knowone needs the
> release and especially if eo people feel they don't need huge amounts of
> time to finish I don't think we should release.

the eflete thread in e-users atm highlights exactly the issues that eo
is causing people which is why I think waiting is possibly justified.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek)                            http://simotek.net

Emergency Update Team                           keybase.io/simotek
SUSE Linux                           Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30