At 07:50 AM 11/25/2003, A. S. Budden wrote:
Thus spake Hall Stevenson:
> At 04:09 AM 11/24/2003, A. S. Budden wrote:
> >The second, and more fundamental one is that when I start enlightenment,
> >it's quite random what epplets I see. For example, when I logged on
> >this morning, my desktop looked like this:
> <snip>
> >rpm -q Epplets:
> >Epplets-0.5-11mdk
>
> I would first suggest removing the epplet package you've currently got
> installed and install the RPM that's available from E's website. epplets
> have a configuration option that helps deal with "multiplying epplets",
> i.e. extra instances. It's possible that Mandrake didn't enable this option
> when they built it.
>
> Then again, I can't say that the E-supplied epplet RPMs were built with
> that option either....

I recompiled it from the source (with a fair amount of editing the
configure script to stop GL from getting upset).  Seems to have solved
the problem.  Many thanks for your help.

In case anyone else wants to know, the option in question is
--disable-auto-respawn.  This stops the epplets from reloading
automatically, so you put them in your .xsession/.xinitrc and robert's
your father's brother.

Ahhh, it seems you left out a key thing from your original post, that is, assuming you're running E as your window manager. If so, you do NOT launch epplets from your .xsession or .xinitrc file. epplets will automatically be set up to re-start with E each time WITHOUT YOU HAVING TO DO ANYTHING.

The reason for this --disable-auto-respawn, or one of the reasons, was because Gnome users were having both Gnome *and* E remember what apps were to be re-started, hence people getting multiple instances of apps. Why ?? Because Gnome restarts them and E restarts them.

Let us know how soon your problem comes back. :-)

Hall