On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 23:16:57 +0900
Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> if i had the time... i'd do a distro. just for myself of all people! :) i'd
> love to actually do a distro that's stripped down - no "apache" no "mysql" no
> "openldap" in fact no gimp, etc. basically just what u need to install, log
> in, and run a terminal, download some files, maybe browse a website or 3,
> read e-mail. all things like "gimp" would be add-on packages (of course an
> easy to use package fetcher would be included), but all of this is a
> side-line. i'd like to make it ULTRA FAST to boot. make it boot in about 3-5
> seconds to your login manager. this is perfectly possible. in fact it can be
> done in under seconds if you REALLY want (it's been done) :)

Since you included the clause "if i had the time", I suggest you take a look at
Gentoo. It's pretty much what you describe. I don't know about fast booting
though, I never considered it a priority.

PS: Let's hope this won't turn into a distro war now :)

--
/~\ The ASCII        Andrej "Ticho" Kacian <andrej at kacian dot sk>
\ / Ribbon Campaign  GnuPG public key ID: 7CD93FE2 (pgp.mit.edu)