<quote who="Carsten Haitzler">
> if i had the time... i'd do a distro. just for myself of all people! :)
> i'd love
> to actually do a distro that's stripped down - no "apache" no "mysql" no
> "openldap" in fact no gimp, etc. basically just what u need to install,
> log in,
> and run a terminal, download some files, maybe browse a website or 3, read
> e-mail. all things like "gimp" would be add-on packages (of course an easy
> use package fetcher would be included), but all of this is a side-line.
> i'd like
> to make it ULTRA FAST to boot. make it boot in about 3-5 seconds to your
> login
> manager. this is perfectly possible. in fact it can be done in under
> seconds if
> you REALLY want (it's been done) :)

Many including me use Gentoo which fulfil above requirements for precisely
those reasons.  The bare time to boot has been 10-15 seconds before I
added cups, apache and other stuff to run levels.  And that's with
framebuffer and bootsplash.  See here for example.

http://dhruba.codewordt.co.uk/images/2.6-bs.png

--
Dhruba Bandopadhyay // dhruba [AT] codewordt.co.uk
ICQ: 31628525      // MSN: bdhruba [AT] msn.com