On Tue, 2005-03-15 at 18:38, Martin White wrote:
> But, I'm not convinced that removing the application's frame complete with
> it's one stop shop of toolbars would necessarily be productive. All of a
> sudden you'd now have to go through several mouse clicks to bring up the
> menu, invariably a sub menu (even if it were contextual to the application)
> and ultimately another click for the thing you want to do...
>
> However, to try and counter this with a constructive alternative, how about
> moving the application's main toolbar icons to the icon bar and make that
> contextual to the application that has focus (as well as the standard
> launcher icons of course).

I hate to be critical, but this whole concept is, I think, a little
misdirected.  I'm not entirely sure why it is on the e-users list
anyway.

The problem is much as you describe.  You want some fast access stuff,
so you add some button palettes, or a toolbar to the document.  At that
point you're right back with a *Step/Mac interface and you've spent a
lot of time treading water and reinventing the wheel.  I think a point
of greater concern is focusing on ensuring that the window manager has a
good interface for grouping (and subgrouping) windows.  The applications
can then hint to the WM how they want to be grouped, and you get to
retain your document centric approach.  That discussion, at least,
belongs here except for the fact that, as far as I am aware, Raster has
already made his decisions on how window grouping in E17 will work.

Leland McInnes.
--

"We all just want to die.
A little bit"