On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 22:32:11 -0400 (EDT) [EMAIL PROTECTED] babbled:

> > On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 09:26:30 +0200 Pietro Montorfano <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > babbled:
> >
> >> well, yestarday i've tried to launch my konqueror from e17 but it didn't
> >> started, "why?" i was asking and then i've found that e17 doesn't set
> >> the PATH variable, not only it doesn't set but if the variable caontains
> >> all the path needed, e17 unset it, how can i set my $PATH variable?
> >
> > it does no such thing. it doesnt set it nor does it unset it - it doesnt
> > TOUCH
> > your PATH vaiable. it inherits it from the shell that spawned e17 and
> > doesn't
> > even try to change it. E17 executes everything using /bin/sh like almost
> > everything else on the planet does (system(), etc. etc.). it's up to you
> > to set
> > your own $PATH - not a wm to go filling it up for you. :)
> >

> Actually I had this problem with a gentoo install a little while ago, the
> login process for some reason wasn't triggering the usual scripts for a
> login shell, so e17 was starting without any of the profile scripts
> triggering (/etc/profile, ~/.bash_profile). Consequently all of gentoo's
> environment configurations in /etc/env.d weren't loading up, the path
> being just one of the problems.
>
> Unfortunately I can't remember for the life of me how I fixed it without
> resorting to hacks in the bashrc or session files. If I remember I'll let
> you know.
>
> btw, also curious, why do terminals in e17 always startup with SHLVL=3?
> All the other desktops I have start up terminals in SHLVL=2.

mine start with SHLVL=2

do you exec enlightenment in your .xsession script?

ie:

#!/bin/sh
exec enlightenment

OR is it:

#!/bin/sh
enlightenment

the EXEc line REPLACES the login shell process WITH whatever it execs (in this
case enlightenment) meaning you save having a usless unused shell process
around. this is probably why its level 3 for you as you have an extra shell
still hanging in above execution of E itself. :)

裸好多                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tokyo, Japan (東京 日本)