A better method would be to write your own shell script to handle
this.  Though I'm not terribly good at scripting (and someone may be
able to write a real one), I can throw out some psuedocode:

if (program is running)
then (focus program {can you do this from the command line?})
else (open program)
end

If you can't focus the program, you can at least stop it from opening
a new window with a similar script.

-josh/krazykit