On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 19:00:41 -0300 Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> babbled:

> > > Just one additional question: when I want to watch TV and the computer
> > > will be without mouse or keyboard input, I raise the standby timeout. I
> > > wrote a script for that and bound <control><alt>w to it.
> > > But I still have to disable the Enlightenment lock screen timeout...
> > > And enlightenment_remote seems unable to do it, so I have to
> > > use the mouse to navigate menus and uncheck the "Lock when idle time
> > > exceeded" option.
> > >
> > > Is there any way I can do this from the command line?
> >
> > Well no.  I never implemented it. (the reason being below)
> > I'll put it on my list though.  Do you follow cvs?
> Yes I follow CVS.
>
> > > By the way, enlightenment_remote seems quite limited and I often find
> > > myself in need to use the mouse... which is not scriptable, which
> > > annoys me.
> >
> > enlightenment_remote is limited because (as I understand it) only
> > features that did not have a GUI were made available for
> > enlightenment_remote.  Its as if dev would develop the feature, and then
> > allow access to its config via enlightenment_remote.  Then as they
> > develop the GUI for it they were to remove it.  But that has allways
> > seemed silly to me, as everything *should* be scriptable.  But it seems
> > (and this is just my perception) that enlightenment_remote is destined
> > to be deprecated some day... once all features are available through a
> > GUI.  But personally I feel that is a misfortune.  As a scriptable tool
> > like that is so handy.
> It is more than a misfortune, it is an absurd. I could give you
> a lot of important reasons why scriptability is so important. What is
> the reason for scriptability to be left out? After all, we don't want to
> reinvent MS Windows, do we?
>
> To be able to script the lock screen timeout is specially important. Am
> I supposed to follow menus each time I want to watch TV? If it was
> scriptable, I could bind a key to it, so I would just press a key
> combination when I wanted to increase the timeout. I could even write
> a script that did this before calling the TV-viewing program, and
> restored the default configuration after the TV-viewing program ended.

actually this could be implemented if we provided actions to change config -
enlightenment_remote is an extreme inefficient and round-about way to do this.
enlightenment_remote is a pain to maintain - it is a large lump of code that
most people tend to never use. we are going to get rid of it.

your "stop blanking while watching tv" problem is the fact that your tv app...
is "stupid". it does not suspend the screensaver (blanking) while watching tv.
this is an easy thing to do in x (if you use the xscreensaver extension) and it
should just do it automatically - WITHOUT you nbeeding to go bind keybindings
to run a program that then connects back to the wm that then changes a setting
(permanently) that then tells x to turn off dpms blanking (and then you need to
remember to turn it back on again too when done - you might forget and then
not get blanking).

> If you can implement this feature, I would be thankful. By the way, the
> Enlightenment team deserves congratulations for their excellent work.

you are talking to the wrong people - the tv app authors are the ones you want
to talk to. see above.

most cases for "i need scriptability" are simply work-arounds for bugs/lack of
features or lack of knowledge on how things work. for us maintaing
enlightenment_remote is a burden - it is a gateway for bugs and crashes -
already. if there is genuine need - we will have some remote control ability -
but only if there is need. we are looking to dump e_ipc and move control via
dbus and allow modules to extend dbus remote control.

> --
> Software is like sex: it is better when it is free. --Linus Torvalds

裸好多
Tokyo, Japan (東京 日本)