On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 11:39:15 +0200 Toby Cubitt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> babbled:

> Michael Jennings wrote:
> > On Monday, 27 August 2007, at 07:45:08 (+0900),
> > Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> >
> >> yes - and the bad bit is - this conflicts with code for the config
> >> gui. the fact is that almost every app on the planet provides a GUI
> >> (built in) to configure itself - preferences dialogs for firefox,
> >> settings dialogs for gimp.  almost NONE provide "remote
> >> control". most of the time people don't care - and don't need it.
>
> I'm amazed to hear this attitude on the enlightenment mailing list, let
> alone from Carsten! I've always been an enlightenment fan primarily
> because of its incredible flexibility and customizability, not because
> of its flashy eye candy (that's nice too, but I'd rather ditch that than
> the flexibility). Of all the window managers out there, I always thought
> that enlightenment did the best job of combining a beautiful interface
> with the Unix tradition of plain-text configuration files and
> scriptability. Enlightenment was always more than just eye-candy: it was
> the wm of choice for serious hackers who also appreciated a beautiful
> desktop.

see my latest mail on eet - you want to hack config files - you get it. but
you get no safety net. i do want to get rid of the ipc handler ugliness. no one
maintains that code - it's missing lots of config options that have been added
- LOTS.

> It's impossible to predict every weird and wonderful thing users might
> want to do with E, and I guarantee you won't want to add all of them as

that's why instead of working around things by screwing with the config, tell
us what it is you need.

> extra configuration options! (Many of them will be requested by just one
> person, and useful only to them. Assuming they would even bother
> requesting them. Most likely they'd realise there's no hope of getting

almost every time someone asks for something - they are asking for the wrong
thing. they actually want Y, not X, but they only see X as the way of getting
it.

> what they want included, and give up.) By using plain-text config files
> (or at least allowing binary config files to be manipulated by
> command-line tools) and opening up E IPC via a command-line tool, E

done. note - e will re-write its own config files regularly, so hacking at them
behind e's back may not help much :)

> makes it possible to do amazing things using nothing but simple shell
> scripts. Things that in another window manager couldn't be done without
> hacking the source code. For example, when I was using E16, I had a
> whole collection of scripts that automatically opened and closed pagers
> when I changed virtual desktop, that unshaded my IM client when a
> message arrived, that let me manipulate enlightenment from within Emacs
> etc. etc., all done using bash and eesh (the enlightenment_remote
> equivalent for those who never knew it - I would give E17 examples, but
> I'm stuck using Windows at the moment so haven't had a chance to play
> with E17 as much).

the current code for the ipc stuff is ugly - i tried to put it all in 1 place
and make it friendly to extend for 3rd party tools by having proper well
defined data structures, but it's become a fairly large wad of rarely used code
that no one is maintaining or doing anything to - it's falling behind the
features and abilities of e daily as we just dont bother adding more ipc calls.

> > This is, of course, not true.  Most systems, including firefox
> > (prefs.js) and GIMP (gimprc, et al.), use text-based configurations
> > which do not require specialized "remote control" tools beyond a
> > simple text editor.  But even they provide mechanisms for controlling
> > program behavior from afar, from JavaScript and Script-Fu to special
> > command line parameters.
>
> Exactly. The great thing about Unix is that it doesn't insult your
> intelligence by assuming it knows what you want better than you do, but
> instead makes it easy to combine tools in novel ways to do things that
> the developers would never have dreamed of. I'd be very sad to see
> enlightenment turn its back on this philosophy.

we have different ways of doing things - instead we are going for a plugin
method -a  much more formalised and incredibly more powerful way of doing
things. it lets you plug in and then access ANYTHING in the code - ANYWHERE. it
doesn't need to wait for us to add ipc or even make a config option for it.
unfortunately for you it's in C. if you can hack around and make bash + eesh to
exec from emacs to do things - you can do the little C needed to do a module to
do the same things. there has been a start in a python module - to allow python
scripts to run and extend e - don't say that we aren't giving the control- we
just aren't doing it the way you want or are used to. we are offering better
and finer-grained control than ever. what i want to get rid of is monster lumps
of dormant and unmaintained code in the core - shorne's work on dbus controls
and putting the onus on modules to extend the ipc as people need is much better
than what we have now.

> > An automated way of manipulating program configuration is both wanted
> > and needed.
> >
> > The current implementation of E IPC is pretty ugly, yes.  That doesn't
> > mean IPC is bad.  It means the IPC code was not designed properly.
>
> Maybe I'm hallucinating, but I thought that a while back there was some
> discussion on enlightenment-user about how some new code (gadcon?) would
> make it much easier to add new actions to enlightenment_remote at the

nup- gadcon and e_remote had nothing to do with eachother.

> same time as adding the corresponding GUI elements. Was I dreaming? This
> sounded great to me at the time, because it seemed to suggest that
> pretty much *everything* would automatically be made scriptable via
> enlightenment_remote, without much extra coding effort.

no. not at all. that may have been dbus + modules extending the ipc and
allowing you to use standard dbus tools to send messages and get replies.

> Toby

裸好多
Tokyo, Japan (東京 日本)