On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 8:56 AM, Cedric BAIL <cedric.b...@free.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was asking my self, if we could improve the situation regarding
> string translation in edje. As I am about to rewrite the file internal
> layout, it sounds like a good time to throw this question in the wild
> and see what idea we could get from this.
>
> So to give you the current situation, when you specify a text string
> inside an edje file, you can't translate it. If you set it from
> outside of the edje file you can. I don't think we want to ship one
> edje file per locale, perhaps one eet file with a hash for the
> translation per locale ?
>
> My question is what kind of feature/tools do people need to translate
> this string ? Do people already have idea on how to implement it or
> how to express this ?

I discussed this with raster already, basically it is about marking
the strings to be translated and then shipping the translations. We
could simply add a markup or just add another entry, we could use
gettext and ship it as external .mo or ship it inside edje.  Problem
with custom solution is how to do plural forms and other stuff gettext
already does. Problem with using gettext is relying on external .mo
files. The best thing is to add some kind of loading .mo from memory
so these would be shipped inside eet just like we do for images and
fonts.

BR,

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri