E16 is super dated at this point - I would highly recommend trying a current
version of E17 (bodhi linux, sabayon, and pclinuxos all provide one in LiveCD
form).

Your display/login manager controls which desktop log into. If you are using
the default display manager in Ubuntu 10.04 then it is GDM. Simply log out and
select the gnome session from the options at the bottom.

~Jeff Hoogland