After checking an older Ubuntu install I've got at home, I ran into your
same problem.  It appears to be an Ubuntu design flaw.

Somewhere in the session startup framework they insert e16 into gconf as
your window manager when selecting e16-GNOME, but when you change back
to GNOME it doesn't restore it to metacity.

Use gconf-editor and modify the following key:
/desktop/gnome/session/required_components/windowmanager

Change the value 'e16' back to 'metacity' and all should be right with
the world again.. ;-)

- Don (aka Donny)