I've just recently started exploring E17, although I've been an
 enlightenment fan since '99.

 I'm not sure I entirely agree with your 'super dated' comment about
 e16.  To me it falls more on the scale of a minimalistic window manager
 such as fluxbox.

 e16 can do composite rendering for hardware accelerated video cards.
 If enabled the pager shows active content in other desktops (I can
 continue watching a movie going on in another desktop without any lag).
 As far as I've seen that's something that E17 doesn't even do (at least
 yet)..  Application windows can be set to a specific transparency
 percentage for both 'active' and 'non-active' windows as well.

 Granted it doesn't have bouncy menus or windows (like E17), for a 10+
 year old window manager it holds it's own.  Thanks Kim for maintaining
 it!

 As for the issues Charlie is having...

 The documentation is *sometimes* distributed in a separate package.
 You'll have to check the Ubuntu repositories again and see if that's the
 case.  The documentation hasn't been updated in a while but it does
 cover the basics.

 Changing your desktop back to GNOME should be as simple as selecting it
 from your login menu.  Seems like an Ubuntu glitch if that's not
 happening.  Try taking a look at ~/.dmrc and see which session is being
 used.  Possibly try deleting that same file to revert to a system
 default session.

 - Don