Am Freitag 09 Dezember 2011, 02:02:46 schrieb David Seikel:
[...]
> I should point out that the entire menu system was designed by
> freedesktop.org, (FDO), largely under the guidance of the GNOME and KDE
> developers.  The distros have designed their menus around that system,
> but following their own guidance.  Not many have taken into
> consideration the smaller groups of people using other desktop
> enviroments / desktop shells, / window managers.  Certainly I don't
> think anyone took into account Enlightenment DR17, which has not been
> released yet.
>
> On top of that, the entire FDO menu system is a complex morass of
> fiddly little details.  It's hard to get it "correct", even harder with
> so many fingers in the pie, and especially hard for those outside the
> GNOME + KDE behemoths.  Any efforts by us smaller groups have to
> somehow work with the likelihood that any given distro has only catered
> for whichever of the big two they chose to support.
>
> The specifications include methods for hiding things depending on the
> desktop environment in use.  Some of the distros treat that as "it's
> either going to be GNOME, or it's going to be KDE", with the result that
> others are left in the dark.  There is no guarantee that any specific
> distro got things "correct".
>
> Now, we could bypass some of what the distros chose to support, but
> then it becomes even harder to figure out where any given distro has
> put the various bits of the system we are actually interested in.
>
> Which does mean that when E17 users have to sort out what went wrong,
> they find themselves in  a difficult position, facing a rather
> confusing set of XML files, environment variables, and default
> backup systems, specified by a large and complex set of documents
> that they probably have no idea how to find. The same applies to the
> other small groups that are not using GNOME or KDE.  E17 can only make
> a best effort to sort through it all.

I understand your point, and I accept, that things are complicated and under
the control of the major distros. However, the situation of e is comparable
with that of other "minor" DEs, such as Xfce, LXDE and some window managers.
However, I still think, that the problem discussed here is something that
should be fixed in e, not in the distro or FDO.

But I am not saying this to blame anyone. I just would like to see this fixed
before e17 is released, as it is a quite obvious, and annoying bug. No
showstopper, of course, but still something that hits the eye immediately, and
therefore would be noticed by users rather quickly.

Regards

   Alex

Learn Windows Azure Live!  Tuesday, Dec 13, 2011