It would appear that on Jan 23, Jeff Hoogland did say:

> I don't plan to stick with this release snapshot forever though. I'm
> also assuming we will be seeing new E17 snapshots sometime before
> another decade passes to address bugs in the release.
>
> Eventually "compositing only" will be the only option.

As a guy who always thought E looked plenty great {even without composting}
I've no use for transparent windows, and so forth, so I've never used
composting...
Assuming my hardware can handle it, will my transition be automatic or
will I need to learn how to configure it, just to keep things working???

If so is there a beginners tutorial/howto laying around?