On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 17:19:59 -0500 JtWdyP <jtw...@ttlc.net> said:

> It would appear that on Jan 23, Jeff Hoogland did say:
>
> > I don't plan to stick with this release snapshot forever though. I'm
> > also assuming we will be seeing new E17 snapshots sometime before
> > another decade passes to address bugs in the release.
> >
> > Eventually "compositing only" will be the only option.
>
> As a guy who always thought E looked plenty great {even without composting}
> I've no use for transparent windows, and so forth, so I've never used
> composting... Assuming my hardware can handle it, will my transition be
> automatic or will I need to learn how to configure it, just to keep things
> working???
>
> If so is there a beginners tutorial/howto laying around?

1. you dont need your hardware to handle it... software compositing is an
automatic fallback if gl is "selected" but fails to init. the default is
actually software, and the wizard in e17 poked around your xorg logs to try
figure out what gpu/driver you have and tested if gl engine works.. and if this
was "whitelisted" it automatically suggested using gl.

its a simple radiobutton selection list in the composite settings - software or
gl. you can choose (if you have the choice :) - otherwise you'll just get
software).

e in svn already has compositing in core. you dont need to do any
"configuration"... its on all the time. you cant unload or turn it off at all.
there are 2 hiccups. 1 - it goes BACK to software even if you had gl enabled
(simply a config migration issue during development - we'll fix this up before
e18 is out to enure if you HAD gl.. you still have it for e18. those living off
svn of course get to enjoy the hiccups). and a separate issue 2. the "use argb
iwndow" option changed to be "use shaped window": and in the process seems to
have flipped value and shaped windows with comp cause much unhappiness.