On Wed, 14 May 2014 11:23:04 +0200 Pierre Couderc <pie...@couderc.eu> said:

> On 05/14/2014 09:59 AM, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:

> >> I see. In my case, it should be easy as the application is started from
> >> the iBar, it would be logical to take the icon from .desktop file..?
> > it doesn't quite work that way. application is launched but a window
> > created is just a new window event from x. there is no link between the
> > window appearing and the process running, UNLESS the process provides that
> > link. the most accurate is the startup id as above as a property. the next
> > best is the netwm PID property giving pid - that ASSUMES the pid that was
> > launched by e in ibar is the same pid that creates the window and sets the
> > pid property on it - for firefox and chromium this is not the case and
> > unless they support the startup id property (last i checked chromium does
> > not), then this can't/doesn't work. we cant figure out which icon you
> > clicked on that launched the window that you see. if we can figure it out -
> > we match them up.
> >

> I see, so maybe, there is a solution by modifying  the .desktop file
> which could start a  bash file that will provide some ID then start the
> application..?

you can't. well you could do it with an ld_preload and trap the window create
and then force a property to be added - but no such ld_preload has been written
and it wont work for setuid apps.

e already provides the id in an environment variable as per freedesktop.org
specs - some apps support it. efl always supports it as its done in the toolkit
if the app likes it or not.