I have this problem as well, and I tried rebuilding elf but it didn't help. I
found that qasmixer works ok and I can map my volume control keys to little
scripts to adjust the volume using xbindkeys. Don't have this here at work but
I could send it later. Enlightenment mixer was doing all this with pulseaudio
but I wanted to try running without pulse.