On Sat, 11 Jul 2015 14:26:08 -0400 Toan Pham <tpham3...@gmail.com> said:

> Carsten,
>
> I am using GLX extension, w/ the native nvidia driver, and just to give you
> an idea:  Running glxgears shows that E uses 23% cpu, while glxgears only
> uses 1%.  And this test was done with no pager, since it would create a
> overhead for E redrawing a preview window.

http://www.enlightenment.org/ss/e-55a1d5e3469f12.50602275.jpg

i see 5-10%.

do you perhaps have texture from pixmap disabled? (advanced compositor settings
under engine).

> >  the compositor is going to draw whenever ANY APP draws.
>
> Hmm, why is this, even when there's no pager?  Is there a setting in E for
> it not to draw for a certain window name or type?

if it is redrawing other thnigs (see my other email in this thread) that costs
cpu time.

it COULD also be a driver matter - perhaps the driver is blocking and waiting
sitting in a spinlock. i have seen this before.

perf top

try it - see what is happening