http://www.enlightenment.org/ss/e-5eecffdb3dd9d5.28939497.png

> And out of curiosity, for mirroring it's easy but in the case of
> separate screens, if you disable hotplug support, does E just ignore the
> next screen if you plug it in, or what happens exactly?

it'll ignore plug and unplug if you disable hotplug. the new "ignore
disconnects" will just ignore a disconnect for that screen.

> > aaah now this hits the problem. i actually spent a lot of time messing with
> > this timeout. i ended up at 1 second as a compromise. if i had it wait 3-5
>
> Yeah, I'm not surprised. Changing it from 1 for all is not a good idea
> as you said. Making it a setting that can be raised a bit for those
> where connections can bounce a little bit, may be desirable, or not.
> Can't say if I'm the only one with this flaky connection.
> I tried the other minidp cable to a different minidp input in the
> monitor. It feels more stable but still stutters a bit.
>
> If I never get it working reliably, I'll probably just switch to HDMI
> for good (DP is supposed to be slightly faster for 4K).

or maybe just a good DP cable? as i said - i can add some config - will have to
try remember that...

> > i also just added a feature "ignore disconnects" for a specific screen...
> > it's in git master... :) so technically you could just flag a screen as a
> > problem child and turn this on. it does mean if you use a laptop and
> > actually dock/undock AND have "problem connectors" e can't handle the
> > disconnect for that screen until you manually remove the "ignore
> > disconnects" for that screen, THEN unplug it.
>
> Oh, good to know, thank you.
>
> > in the end e is at the point where it doesn't know if its an actual
> > disconnect or a broken cable. if you disable hotplug then e can use a fixed
> > setup -
>
> Correct.
>
> > the only other option is to make this 1 second a configuration value for the
> > user. it's not pretty but might help hide your problem a bit, but you'd
> > need to go using git master to get such features if i added them even
> > today... or you wait for the next release... :)
>
> Yes, I do think that making this configurable can also be useful, at
> least for some cases, even if indeed I'm just a sample size of 1 :)

well indeed sometimes people have different or broken or odd hardware. if i
can't see it it's hard to code around it - i have to rely on reports and
figuring out what the real issue is and then possibly the best path. i would
like then for the user to try git so i can prototype/try the feature to see if
it actually fixes things before it is baked into a release.

Carsten Haitzler - ras...@rasterman.com