On Fri, 19 Jun 2020 14:22:24 -0700 Marc MERLIN <marc_...@merlins.org> said:

> On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 07:18:51PM +0100, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> > > I looked for this, but didn't find a setting. Is it a compile option or
> > > a setting?
> >
> > http://www.enlightenment.org/ss/e-5eecffdb3dd9d5.28939497.png
>
> woohoo, the settings cat, where have you been all my life, settings cat?
> :)

say hi to malloc... my cat. :) he's now part of enlightenment.

e24 has the settings cat in the shot module... you can annotate screenshots as
part of the screenshotting process before save/upload... (and crop any region
etc.). :)

> Got it, thanks.
>
> > > If I never get it working reliably, I'll probably just switch to HDMI
> > > for good (DP is supposed to be slightly faster for 4K).
> >
> > or maybe just a good DP cable? as i said - i can add some config - will
> > have to try remember that...
>
> I just bought a brand new one, but that's not to say that the 3 cables
> aren't all varying levels of crap. For comparison, the same 4K goes
> through any HDMI cable I've thrown at it, but I guess they are shielded
> differently.
> It could also be an issue with the nvidia chip or connectivity in that
> laptop not being rock solid for DP, but fine with HDMI, who knows?

maybe a power issue. as it's a laptop it has a much stricter power budget and
maybe if you run enough display outputs at high enough frequencies it "browns
out" a bit sometimes.

i have definitely seen modern laptops that actually cannot run off mains power.
they stop charging and batteries start being drained if you turn up brightness
and give them enough to do with cpu/gpu... since DP can deliver power - maybe
it uses a bit more power than hdmi? this is just wild speculation though...

> > > Yes, I do think that making this configurable can also be useful, at
> > > least for some cases, even if indeed I'm just a sample size of 1 :)
> >
> > well indeed sometimes people have different or broken or odd hardware. if i
> > can't see it it's hard to code around it - i have to rely on reports and
> > figuring out what the real issue is and then possibly the best path. i would
> > like then for the user to try git so i can prototype/try the feature to see
> > if it actually fixes things before it is baked into a release.
>
> Right. I'm sorry to be lame with you on that one, I'm so deep inside
> work with already multiple TOT git trees with issues, that I try to
> touch X, E, and my terminals, as little as possible :-/

i know what you mean... i've got a hairball of git trees around as well. :)

Carsten Haitzler - ras...@rasterman.com