On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 12:02:18AM +0100, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Aug 2020 07:31:23 -0700 Marc MERLIN <marc_...@merlins.org> said:
>
> I have never seen it jumble the windows... if you lose a screen e will dump
> windows onto the current screen+desktop (but their positions will be the same
> relative to the screen).
>
> e in git now actually remember the last screen a window was on when dumped and
> restores it back to it when the screen re-appears unless you manually moved it
> around screens in the meantime. it also dumps them on the same corresponding
> desktop rather than all windows on the lost screen onto the current desktop.

Ok, so I upgraded to 0.24.2-5
I can see that it changed the way it leaves windows where they used to
be when it restarts (with a nice dim effect), that's good.

Now, I have a new problem though.
This is a problme I've always had.
I use xsession to start terminals because I had issues getting E to
start my many terminsls with the right name arguments a long tiem ago
and I just stuck with xsession

It looks like this:
#TN=xfce4-terminal
#TNN=T
TN="gnome-terminal --hide-menubar --window"
TNN="--role"
# Give time to e17 to start so that it can capture the window to position it
(sleep 5; $TN  $TNN window1   --role=window1 ) &
(sleep 5; $TN  $TNN window2   --role=window2 ) &
(sleep 5; $TN  $TNN window3   --role=window3 ) &
(sleep 5; $TN  $TNN window4   --role=window4 ) &
(sleep 5; $TN  $TNN window5   --role=window5 ) &
(sleep 5; $TN  $TNN window6   --role=window6 ) &
(sleep 5; $TN  $TNN window7   --role=window7   --tab ) &
(sleep 5; $TN  $TNN window8   --role=window8   --tab ) &
(sleep 5; $TN  $TNN window9   --role=window9   --tab ) &
(sleep 5; $TN  $TNN window10  --role=window10  --tab ) &
(sleep 5; $TN  $TNN window11  --role=window11  --tab ) &

(sleep 5; $TN  $TNN window2.1 --role=window2.1 --tab ) &
(sleep 5; $TN  $TNN window2.2 --role=window2.2 --tab ) &
(sleep 5; $TN  $TNN window2.3 --role=window2.3 --tab ) &
(sleep 5; $TN  $TNN window2.4 --role=window2.4 --tab ) &
(sleep 5; $TN  $TNN window2.5 --role=window2.5 --tab ) &

(sleep 5; $TN  $TNN window3.1 --role=window3.1 --tab ) &
(sleep 5; $TN  $TNN window3.2 --role=window3.2 --tab ) &

(stuff)
/usr/bin/enlightenment_start

The problem is that the windows never really all appeared where they
needed. They have the right size (E remembers), they are somewhat in the
right place and all on the correct virtual screen, but it's not quite in
the right place.
It looks like window size is reliably remembered, as well as virtual
screen. Position within the screne, is not.

With E, up to 0.23, all I had to to when I started X, was let everything
start, then I did CTRL Alt End, restarted E and E would right away move
the windows to where it was supposed to put them to start with, but
somehow never did it right at start.
This does show that my E config knows exactly where each window is
supposed to be, but for reasons unknown, this doesn't get applied at
start.

Now, with E 0.24, it remembers the place where they are at, the wrong
one at start, and won't re-place them, which I understand is intended.

how do I fix things so that E reliably puts the windows in the right
place at startup time?
The way I remember a window, is I fix it is:
- move window
- remember settings
- uncheck keep current properties
- check apply