On 4/25/2017 2:44 PM, Stephen Dowdy wrote:
I saw references to Adobe Flashplayer being responsible for this, and lo/behold, upon switching Flashplayer to "Never Activate", the Gtk/Gdk messages stopped.
I then disabled Flashplayer in all of my other profiles , and my Atlassian
Confluence tabs suddenly became usable again. (instead of 30 seconds of
grinding waiting to edit a page or authenticate, it took no more than 4-5
seconds).

While i'm massively disappointed in the performance still (yeah, partly the
freakin' web and it's abundance of dazzle/privacy-theft sites), it turns out
that Flashplayer being active for a single tab was killing my system.

I will say that the sites which have flash installed and/or running were closed when I made my initial post (but the original process was still open), and I was having trouble waiting for one of my folders in gmail to open -- it took 53 seconds to go from "inbox" in gmail to a subfolder/label. I do notice that firefox takes up well over 750MB of memory when I check the process and I know the bulk of that is due to flash, but I'll give disabling flash a try. I do run Flashblock extension, but some pages still try loading video under the blocked flash container anyway.... >:-\

jim