Pages have also become a lot "heavier" with massive javascript libraries,
AJAX, higher resolution images, and the like. Given that developers tend to
have powerful machines, and testers may only test with a few tabs open, a
lot of this slips by. Web pages these days are applications in their own
right, and like any other application, as more resources become available,
instead of those resources making the applications run faster, the
developers use the resources to squeeze more bloat into the applications.