James Pearson wrote:

> There was a thread on this list last month that mentioned a possible
> 'replacement' for Classic Theme Restorer see:
>
>    https://mail.mozilla.org/private/enterprise/2018-January/008360.html
>
> That post stated:
>
>> Apparently, the way forward is to alter the user CSS within the browser
>> profile directory. This obviously means that we'll have to figure out
>> the deployment en masse manually, but it might be closer to what you're
>> looking for: https://github.com/Aris-t2/CustomCSSforFx
>
> I've just tried the 'classic' chrome examples with FF 60.0a1 and it
> looks like you can achieve close to what you want by uncommenting the
> following two lines in the userChrome.css file:
>
>    @import url(./css/tabs/tabs_below_titlebar_above_navigation_toolbar.css);
>
>    @import url(./css/toolbars/toolbar_mode_text.css);

I actually meant uncomment the line:

  @import url(./css/tabs/tabs_below_navigation_toolbar.css);

:-)

It looks like you can load these custom css files via an autoconfig cfg
file - e.g. if you install the 'CustomCSSforFx' contents as the
subdirectory CustomCSSforFx in your Firefox install directory/folder -
to use the 'classic' css, add to your autoconfig cfg file:

// start
var ios = Components.classes["@mozilla.org/network/io-service;1"]
            .getService(Components.interfaces.nsIIOService);

var sss = Components.classes["@mozilla.org/content/style-sheet-service;1"]
            .getService(Components.interfaces.nsIStyleSheetService);

var userChrome = Components.classes["@mozilla.org/file/directory_service;1"]
            .getService(Components.interfaces.nsIProperties)
            .get("GreD", Components.interfaces.nsIFile);

userChrome.append("CustomCSSforFX");
userChrome.append("classic");

var userContent = userChrome.clone();

userChrome.append("userChrome.css");
userContent.append("userContent.css");

sss.loadAndRegisterSheet(ios.newFileURI(userContent), sss.USER_SHEET);
sss.loadAndRegisterSheet(ios.newFileURI(userChrome), sss.USER_SHEET);
// end

[I'm not a Firefox/javascript programmer - so there may be better ways
of doing the above ... but it appears to work for me ...]

James Pearson