From: Enterprise <enterprise-boun...@mozilla.org> On Behalf Of Mark Mielke
Sent: 31 March 2018 20:09
To: Java Sys <firefox....@javasys.net>
Cc: enterprise@mozilla.org List <enterprise@mozilla.org>
Subject: Re: [Mozilla Enterprise] Stupidly Slow Firefox ESR

I'm encountered slowness with Firefox 52 ESR as well, however, I haven't been
able to identify the cause or even prove it was Firefox 52 ESR (vs other
versions). And since I have also been experiencing it with Firefox 59 now, I
was actually pretty sure it wasn't Firefox 52 ESR (at least in my case), but
something else that has changed...

Recently we set up a new service for an on-premise appliance and added signed
certs to it. In this case, I was getting reproducible hangs every time I
accessed this service in Firefox 59, but never with Chrome. And then when I
tried another system where Firefox 52 ESR was installed, it may been slow to
start, but then worked fine.

I ended up down the rabbit hole that concluded this could be related to the
certificate signing. After removing cert8.db and cert9.db from my profile, the
hang disappeared and was no longer reproducible.

I haven't determined the exact cause of this yet, but I'm wondering if the OCSP
or CA validation URL or other have changed on some certificate authorities, or
if some of the signing certs are now expired and referring to validation URL
that are no longer in service, and the hangs are caused by Firefox trying to
validate the certificates against the old URL which is no longer responding. By
using up-to-date root CA public certificates in the Firefox profile, it will
only check up-to-date CA validation URL, and it will work properly as expected?

If any of you are still seeing hangs and can reproduce, I suggest you remove
cert8.db and cert9.db from your profile and restart Firefox to allow them to be
re-created. See if you are still seeing hangs after this.