On Linux, I quite regularly run multiple independent instances of
Firefox -- sometimes different versions -- by running them as different
users, with different home directories and hence different profiles. By
means of sudo, I run them on the same display (and keyboard and mouse),
with no logging out and logging in needed. Thus I can see the various
windows side by side, and even copy and paste stuff (like links)
between them.

I presume that since Mac OSX is Unix based, one can do something
similar with multiple users, home directories, profiles, etc.

I also used the same approach on Windows (7 Pro), by creating new users
and using "runas". It also works on one display, with no logging out
and logging in needed.

P.S. I mainly did this for added security, keeping (e.g.) banking in a
separate environment from casual browsing, etc. I also make heavy use of
NoScript, with the different environments having different Javascript
sources permanently enabled, depending on what they *really* need. (For
example, almost nothing *really* needs Facebook.)