The main reason I run different instances of Firefox as different users
is *security*. If you simply run Firefox under one user with different
profiles, they all see the same file system. This is *not* what I want,
since Firefox might still have bugs that could allow nasty websites to
do damage to files, or even simply read files they shouldn't.

What I do when I run them as different users is to run each
Firefox chroot-ed to a new /root directory, and, by using "mount
--bind", each user has a "/home" directory with only its own home
directory mounted there, plus only those shared directories that are
necessary, and finally, its own "/tmp" directory. This means that the
different Firefox instances cannot even know about any files belonging
to other users (even if those files originally were world readable),
so it serves as "defense in depth" in the face of Firefox bugs.

Yes, I know that I should use kernel namespaces and fancy systemd
features, but I did this a while ago, and it would be time consuming to
convert for not a lot of gain. (Unless, perhaps, it would make it easy
to create security contexts on the fly...)

By the way, in Windows I restrict which network shares are accessible
to the different users. Also, local directories can even be restricted
beyond the users under Users (but Windows ACLs can get quite tricky to
get right).

Finally, it might be helpful to run the two radically different
versions of Firefox in different security contexts: I wouldn't be too
surprised if Quantum has more insecurities than Legacy (XUL) for some
time to come. (And I certainly would never want to run closed source
DRM-ed modules in the same context as private or sensitive data.)

P.S. In KDE, I tend to use different "workspaces" to group my Firefox
instances, as I only have a few that I keep running long term.